- Excellent pace, direction, editing, scoring, and photography. Startling and scary
- Subtle, intelligent, multidimensional characters with feelings and common sense. Bad guys with a sense of measure. In spaceships! This guy can write scripts.
- Good setting, nice hardware, spectacular battle and martial arts sequences.
- Noble politics, progressive values. A healthy approach to spirituality.
- Strong female and non-white characters. In fact many strong characters.
- The two main plot devices are not sufficiently connected with each other.
- Employs a stereotypical, irredeemable and unsubtle bad side.
- Appears to be conceived as a series.
- Filled with references and ideas from every great SF movie or book.
- Characters are a bit too scripted or witty at times. Main bad character rather under-delivered in development and emotional impact.
- Battle sequences filmed at close range, somewhat jarring camerawork.
- Central political issue is idealistic, lacks relevance to real world.
- Everyone is of conspicuously Anglo-Saxon culture, despite random kanji.