Pavlos (pavlos) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Boring healthcare question

What do you do in Britain when you think that something should be treated but your GP thinks no treatment is necessary?

About six months ago I fell off my bike and hurt the joint connecting my right thumb to the hand. Now, this is clearly not life-threatening. I can use my thumb almost as well as I could before, but not quite. I have less strength in it, it's less flexible, and I can feel the joint being a different shape than the normal one. So, clearly I can survive like this, but I don't want to end up with a useless right thumb when I'm 50 or older. An opposable thumb is, after all, one of the features that distinguishes me from a bear!

How do I find out what standard my GP is actually aiming for? Does he intend to get me fully repaired, or does he think I should accept some loss of movement because after all my condition is not serious? Is there some procedure to follow when you think you may need more/better treatment under the NHS? Should I change to a new GP?

I could go to a private doctor but firstly I don't believe in this, and secondly they would have the opposite bias: They would profit from treating you unnecessarily. So my main question is, how do I get a doctor to give me accurate data to make my own decisions as to whether I should get further treatment or not?



  • On Myth

    Hey! I'm mostly living in my shell these days, but here's a long-overdue essay from my other blog. Paul and Alison in particular have been formative…

  • Chomsky on Gaza 2009

    Everyone should read Chomsky's excellent article on Gaza 2009. Usually, Chomsky on the…

  • New blog

    Hi! This is just to let you know that I exist, although I don't really feel that blogging about my life is very interesting any more. I still live…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.